The buildings, all at ground-floor level, were planned to accommodate up to 250 men and 250 women. The design of the homes was opened to a limited competition for a selected number of Manchester architects, with the winning design being submitted by Charles Swain. The cost of construction was in the region of 66,000. Architects's design for Salford old people's home, 1924. The buildings, all linked by a connecting corridor, comprised: Three pavilions for men at the east. Three pavilions for women at the west.
M: The house of the seven Gables (dover Thrift
An entrance lodge lay on Eccles Old road at the north of the site. Salford person Hope hospital entrance lodge, 2000. Three-storey ward blocks were arranged either side of a central administrative building. They were linked by a covered way at the south, and by open balconies on the upper floors at the north which also served as fire escapes. Salford Hope hospital from the south, early 1900s. Salford Hope hospital ward blocks from the north-west, 2000. Salford Hope hospital, 2000. Salford Hope hospital - cricket game in progress, early 1900s. The union infirmary subsequently became hope hospital (simply named after the local area rather than anything more romantic). The site is now home to salford royal Hospital and all the original infirmary buildings have paper been demolished. Salford Old people's Homes On 10th December, 1924, the Chairman of the guardians laid the foundation stone for a large pavilion-plan complex of old people's homes on a nine-acre site at the south of the union infirmary.
The building has been designed with a certain degree of taste. The front and side elevations of the administrative department are faced with bright red stocks, relieved with ornamental bands, and the doors, windows, and porches have stone dressings. The workhouse closed after the first World War and the building was demolished soon after the abolition of the board of guardians in 1930. It was replaced by the three-storey flats of the langworthy Estate, a large-scale rehousing project, which were officially opened in 1938. Salford workhouse site location from the west, 2000. Union Infirmary / Hope hospital, as well as the workhouse, the Union erected a poor-law infirmary for 880 patients at the south side of Eccles Old road at Hope. Built in 1880-82 at a total cost of 64,000 to designs by lawrence booth. Salford Union infirmary site, 1888. Salford Hope hospital from the south, 1940s.
There are three entrances, that in the centre being for the attendant in charge of online the building. The entrance on the left is for male and that on the right for female vagrants. The male vagrants enter a spacious corridor, and pass into a waiting-room 21 feet long and 14 feet wide, thence to the bath-rooms, which are directly opposite. There are two, each containing two baths, and fitted with wash-basins, supplied with hot and cold water. Adjoining the waiting-rooms and opposite the bath-room is a large store-room, where rugs and clothing will be kept. On leaving the bath-rooms, the vagrants pass into the cells. There are 36 for males, which are arranged on each side of a corridor 125 feet in length.
On one side of the building, running the full length, are three rooms, in which mills will be placed for grinding corn, with connecting rods and handles fixed inside the cells, which the vagrants will have to turn and grind a given quantity of corn. On the first floor are the women's cells, eighteen in number, seven being double, for women with children, approached by a wide flight of stone steps, with waiting, bath, and storerooms, and fitted in every respect like the male wards. All the cells throughout are lighted by windows and by gas brackets made purposely, fixed in the corridor, apertures being left in the walls, covered with fine wire, through which the gaslight is admitted. All the cell windows have been designed to open and close simultaneously from the corridor by the attend ant, and under his control only. All the floors, except in the administrative department, are laid with cement concrete. Great care has been taken in thoroughly ventilating the cells and other parts of the building, and the whole building is heated by hot water. The contract price for the whole of the works being 4,840. The building stands on a sloping site, and advantage is taken of this to arrange the basement above the outside ground line. This contains heating cellar, coal cellar, stone rooms, cooking kitchen, disinfecting room, and three work-rooms under the cells, each 45 feet long and 24 feet wide.
SparkNotes: The house of the seven Gables: Plot overview
There was also a covered labour-test shed where men not resident in the workhouse worked during the day in return for food for and a small amount of foundation money. A detailed plan of the workhouse is shown below ( click on the image for a larger version salford workhouse plan, salford Union workhouse (left of centre) from the west. Salford workhouse boys' dormitory, 1890s. In April 1880, new casual wards were opened which adopted the then new "cellular" design, as reported in the. Local government Chronicle : new casual wards at salford workhouse.
New casual wards, on the cellular system, have been opened this week at the above union workhouse, from designs. These wards are the fourth built on the cellular system, and are each fitted with a wood bed, well lighted and ventilated. The doors are strong, and secured with a double lock on the outside. Food doors are inserted, and inspection slides, which enable the attendant to see every portion of the cell without opening the door. To each is fixed a label apparatus, and by turning a handle from the inside a label is thrown out, and the gong placed in the corridor of the administrative department is struck, calling the attention of the attendant, and indicating the cell where.
Ventilation in the various apartments is effected by means of perforated glass in the top compartments of the windows And the whole establishment will be heated with hot-water pipes. It is expected that possession will be taken in September next. The location and layout of the new workhouse is shown on the 1888 map below: Salford Union workhouse site at New Eccles road, 1888. The main entrance to the workhouse was at the centre where the porter's lodge and offices faced onto the street. To the rear, were clothes stores, food stores, kitchen and dining hall.
Men were accommodated at the west of the workhouse and women at the east. On the men's side, the old and infirm were placed at the south nearest to the road. The able-bodied were housed to the rear where there were workshops, stone cells, piggeries and a bakehouse. On the women's side were a wash house and laundry as well as the master's house and garden. Further to the east were blocks for old and infirm women and a probationary ward for children. Casual wards lay at the far eastern end together with a row of stone-breaking cells.
Free haunted house Essays and Papers
There are large airing grounds for boys and girls, with suitable workshops for each sex. To the right of the main building, at about 100 feet, are three erections, the infirmary, the building appropriated for idiots, and the fever hospital. To each of these buildings, which are two stories high. There are yards attached shredder for each sex. Between them are washhouses for linen used in infectious disease. The front boundary of the buildings is to be inclosed by a dwarf wall, with iron palisadings, and the yards and garden are to be fenced in with high walls. The whole has a southerly aspect, and stands upon 7 acres of ground, 5 covered by buildings and yards.
On the centre of the building there rises a clock tower, with an octagon shaft. Manchester courier contains a pretty full description of the whole buildings and of the general arrangements. The grounds round the main building are to business be laid out in yards for each class of paupers, the aged and infirm and the able-bodied of both sexes. In the yards for the latter class work. Shops have been erected, which comprise, for women, washhouses, drying-houses, mending-rooms, and clean linen stores; for men, there are rooms provided for tailors, shoemakers, carpenters, painters, oakum-picking,. ; and incorporated with the workshops for each sex is a cell for refractory paupers. In the men's yard there is a deadhouse and post-mortem examination room.
New road and the manchester to liverpool railway. Designed by messrs Pennington and Jarvis it was intended to accommodate 300 inmates. A contemporary report described it as follows: The establishment, which consists of five detached portions, is built of brick with stone dressing, and is in the Elizabethan style. The front portion of it, which is to be used as union offices and receiving wards, is two storeys high. The front of the buildings has stone facings. Passing through the centre of the front building and the court-yard, crossing a space of some 50 feet, to be laid out ornamentally, the main building is approached, which has an arcade entrance of polished Yorkshire stone, surmounted by a trellis battlement, cut and moulded. The front of this building extends to the length of 400 feet, and has a wing at each end, which comes forward from the main building 60 feet. The central portion is three, and the wings two stories high: the roofs are high-pitched, and have projecting gables and carved barge boards.
A parliamentary report of 1777 recorded a workhouse in operation at Pendleton for up to 28 inmates. It was located on the east side of what is now Broughton road. It was After 1834, this became used as a union school. Salford Pendleton workhouse school site, 1848. After 1834, the edicts of the new poor Law of 1834 met with considerable opposition in many northern manufacturing areas, both from the workers who had failed to gain the vote under the 1832 Reform Bill, and also from the rate-payers who would have. Salford, in fact, became a centre of resistance and a salford Anti poor Law movement was formed, led by the Chartist, rj richardson. The salford poor Law Union finally received its plan official declaration from 12th July 1838. Even after the Union was formed, its 18-strong board of guardians representing the four constituent parishes of Salford, Broughton, pendlebury and Pendleton, refused to co-operate with the poor Law Commissioners and operate the new law as prescribed. The old and inadequate buildings at Greengate and Pendleton continued in use until a new Union workhouse finally opened in 1853.
New England Museum Association : nema jobs
Up to 1834, after 1834, staff, inmates. Records, bibliography, links, up to 1834, in 1793, salford opened a workhouse at the junction of Collier Street and what is now Trinity way in the Greengate district, just across the Irwell from the centre of Manchester. This establishment, once described as "a very handsome building continued in use until the new Salford union workhouse was erected in 1853. Salford Greengate workhouse site, 1848. After demolition of the workhouse, the collier Street public baths were erected on the site. (The baths were designed by Thomas Worthington who, coincidentally, designed the ground-breaking infirmary. Chorlton parts workhouse.) This fine building now stands derelict. Salford Collier Street baths from the north, 2000.